Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

*** Attachment not uploaded ***

We're using FogBUGZ Version 3.1.7 (DB 328) with MySQL (via ODBC) and IIS, on an 180-day trial copy of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.

Sometimes, when we add an attachment to a case, the file doesn't get uploaded correctly.  When we click on the attachment to open it, the MS Internet Explorer browser displays "The page cannot be found".  The behavior seems random - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and it affects multiple FogBugz users.

I don't know why, but I found that the following sequence of events works for me (but not others):
-Verify that the file to be attached is closed.
-Edit the case, attach the file, and click OK.
-Click the "List" menu at the the top of the screen (to refresh the list).
-Re-open the case, and open the attachment to verify that it was uploaded successfully.

Our attachment directory is:
D:\...\Program Files\FogBugz\website\FileUploads\

The "FogBUGZ" user (installed automatically by FogBugz) has "Full Control" over that directory.

Normally, the attachment is uploaded to a new random number directory:
D:\...\Program Files\FogBugz\website\FileUploads\(random number)\

When the problem happens, FogBugz creates the new random number directory, but it is empty.

Has anyone seen this problem before?  I searched through the existing topics, and saw similar problems.  One solution dealt with URLScan, which we don't have.  Another solution was related to permissions - but I don't think my problem is permission-related, because it does work sometimes.

Ed Price
Tuesday, December 30, 2003

I saw this once before where someone had gone in and added NT Authentication to the IIS virtual directory.  Under directory security, "Anonymous Access" should be checked and NT Authentication SHOULD NOT.  Apparently sometimes IIS decides to use your windows user and sometimes it doesn't.  So sometimes you don't have permissions to write to the FileUpload directory and sometimes you do.

Michael H. Pryor (fogcreek)
Tuesday, December 30, 2003

I looked through IIS to see if NT Authentication was inadvertently checked.  I assume that "Integrated Windows authentication" is the same as "NT Authentication" (?).

Here is our IIS directory structure.
IIS
|__Web Sites
  |__Default Web Site
      |__"DirectoryA" dir
        |__"FogBUGZ" virtual dir
        |__"DirectoryA1" dir

The "FogBUGZ" virtual dir points to the following:
D:\...\Program Files\FogBUGZ\website

Under Properties, Directory Security tab, I opened "Authentication and access control" to see the following:
  Checked - "Enable anonymous access" (FogBUGZ user).
  Under "Authenticated access":
    Not checked - Integrated Windows authentication.
    Not checked - Digest authentication.
    Not checked - Basic authentication.
    Not checked - .NET Passport authentication.

I assume this is correct because "Integrated Windows authentication" was not checked.

But if I go up one level, to the "DirectoryA" dir...
Under Properties, Directory Security tab, I opened "Authentication and access control" to see the following:
  Checked - "Enable anonymous access" (non-FogBUGZ user).
  Under "Authenticated access":
    Checked - Integrated Windows authentication.
    Not checked - Digest authentication.
    Not checked - Basic authentication.
    Not checked - .NET Passport authentication.

I wonder if the "FogBUGZ" virtual dir is somehow inheriting the settings from its parent "DirectoryA" dir.  But if I change "DirectoryA" dir, it might affect "DirectoryA1" dir, which isn't related to FogBUGZ.  What should I do?

Ed Price
Wednesday, December 31, 2003

Does the problem have to do with the size of the files? E.g. -- large attachments don't work, small attachments do?

It may be caused by either the web server timing out because it gets bored waiting for the file to be uploaded (there are various settings in IIS for timeouts and script timeouts) or it may be a byte limitation on uploaded bytes.

Joel Spolsky
Monday, January 05, 2004

Our installation experiences the same exact problem.  Just like the poster described, it seems totally random.

It seems that there are just some attachments that - for lack of a better description - fogbugz/iis/sql just doesn't like.  Certain files just will not upload, no matter how many times we try it.  Usually, if we modify the file that failed to upload, or replace it with a copy of itself, we can then successfully upload the modified/copied file.

Fogbugz 3.0 / Win 2003 Server / SQL 2000 Enterprise

Jason Glassbrook
Sunday, January 18, 2004

Here is a conversation between me and Fog Creek...

Fog Creek tech support,
I tried your idea.  I haven't seen the problem since, but it hasn't been heavily tested yet.
I can live with it... but this doesn't seem like the best solution.  Is this an issue that will be patched in a future version of FogBugz?  Or is this something that is out of FogBugz's control?
-Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: Fog Creek Customer Service [mailto:customer-service@fogcreek.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 6:30 PM
To: Price, Ed E
Subject: Re: (Case FC31854) Attachment not uploaded

Hi,
Actually, you can fix this by simply giving Everyone full permissions on the FogBUGZ folder.
-Customer Service
-Fog Creek Software
-http://www.fogcreek.com

Ed Price
Tuesday, January 20, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home