Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

FEATURE REQUEST: FREQUENCY FIELD

I have been using Fogbugz for about 3 months now and I really like it.  I especially like that the fields consist of only what is really needed (we don't even use the Estimate one), instead of the confusing mess that some other bug systems use.  However, there is one glaring hole in the information available to programmers, and that is "How often does this bug occur? Is it Always, Occasional, Rare, etc.?".  I really think an occurence frequency field should be added as this greatly influences the priority and is valuable information for the person fixing the bug.  I'd boot the Estimate field and add Frequency.  :)  Of course, the tester could just indicate the frequency in the description, but we all know how tough that can be to achieve.  A field makes it happen.

Kelly Hoerner
Thursday, December 18, 2003

Also, about how often do new Fogbugz updates come out?

Kelly Hoerner

I hear ya. We'll consider adding that.

You do have the option of changing the name of one of the existing free text fields, Version or Computer, to "Frequency", maybe that would be right for you.

As for quickly determing the frequency, I do a search for the error message, keeping it as short as possible. Not what you're asking for, I know, just a suggestion.  That way I can also see right on the grid view whether it was closed as By Design or what have you.

Dmitri (fogcreek)

If frequency is a factor determining priority, is there a way you could merge the two?  You can change the text for the priorities, so maybe you can just have them indicate the frequency somehow.

Alternately, you could use the Estimate field if you don't use it now.  The lower the timeframe the greater the frequency.  For instance, does it happen around 1 hour, 1 day or 1 week.

Wade Winningham

I guess I should have been a bit more clear.  What I really am looking for I guess is "Repeatability".  I.e. does the bug happen Always, Sometimes, or Rarely.  That helps determine the seriousness of a bug.  Obviously a bug that crashes the app Always, is worse than one that Rarely crashes it.

Kelly Hoerner

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home