Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Reply to email inquiry assigns case

I went into a case this morning and hit Reply. I changed my mind about reply and hit cancel.. I noticed that the case was now assigned to me..

1. Wouldn't you consider sending a reply the same as adding a comment (via Edit)? and therefor shouldn't it have the same behaviour (Eg doesn't change assignment)?

2.  Is there anyway to defer changing the assignment until after I actually send the reply so that if i hit cancel the case will not be wrongly assigned to me?

Jon Newton
Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Usually the email feature is used for responding to support or customer-service inquiries.  In this case a queue of inquiries may be sitting there waiting to be replied to, and multiple users can reply all at once.  So when you hit the 'reply' button, you gain control of the inquiry so others don't accidentally try to reply to something you are already taking care of.

Michael H. Pryor (fogcreek)
Tuesday, December 16, 2003

I too have a problem with this process. In some environments a case might be assigned to one person, but still have other people using reply to communicate on the subject. It would be nice to switch that auto-assign off.

Mark Doerr
Thursday, January 08, 2004

check for more info www.bestgamez.tk

cool
Monday, February 02, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home