Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Can You start an email conversation from FogBugz?

We are about to start using FogBugz for our customer support.
We currently get most support in email, but accoasionally we get phone calls as well.

When we get a phone call, we record the case in our old system (old in-house system) and usually start an email conversation abou it.

When using FogBugz, I find that I cannot start an email conversation from inside FogBugz. This means that when get a phone call, I need to start an email conversation from our support email account.

This means that all the emails about cases that are reported by phone will be in the email account, and all the emails about cases reported by email is inside FogBugz.

We would also like to not put the emails inside FogBugz immediately, but receive them as usual and the copy-paste them into FogBugz to 1. avoid spam and 2. split emails into several cases (very common).

Is there a way around these problems, or have I simply misunderstood how to use FogBugz?

Regards,

Andreas Paulsson

Andreas Paulsson
Friday, December 12, 2003

1. Currently you're correct, this is not supported. We use FogBUGZ here at Fog Creek as our own customer service system, and what I do with phone calls is type all the info into an email using Outlook, and mail that to our FogBUGZ mailbox. Then we'll have a record of it in FogBUGZ, and I can hit the Reply button to send the email (changing the to address of course)

2. If that's what you want, just don't have people send to FogBUGZ. You'll be creating manual labor for yourself of course.

Isn't it just as easy to copy from one case to a new case in FogBUGZ as to copy from an external email into two cases in FogBUGZ? Just my two cents I suppose.

As for spam, I personally eliminate over 100 spam a day using FogBUGZ. I created a filter called "Spam?" that shows only Inquiries from our Customer Service mailbox that are not assigned to any of us yet. Then I click "select all". Then I UN-check those that are not spam. (Every morning there's more spam than non-spam.) Then I click "Spam" and can kill hundreds of spams with one button.

Dmitri (fogcreek)

And for what it's worth, enhanced email features like those you're talking about are one of the top priorities for a future version of FogBUGZ.

Dmitri (fogcreek)

Can I add my 2p worth?

The ability to split cases would be handy - not just for stuff that arrives by email but also for features where to deliver one thing actually breaks down into to doing two or more other things.

Although on reflection I can see that there are some interesting UI issues that might have to be resolved to make it work!

Murph
Sunday, December 14, 2003

First of all; thank You for Your quick answers.

So, what this boils down to is that I can make it work now in a pretty hacky way by
1. emailing myself into FogBugz and
2. when replying remeber to change the to address.
Not very nice, but it works (and, at the end of the day, that is what matters).
I would really like to see this solved by being able to enter a new case in FogBugz and be able to supply the email address of the customer.

The other problems about splitting cases would be nice, but is not essential.

/Andreas

Andreas Paulsson
Monday, December 15, 2003

Update with new workaround: I realized that if I do not log on to FogBugz and enter a New Case, I can enter a new case (a few less fields, but enough for the information that You can get from a customer anyway :-) ) AND I can enter an email address.

This is good enough for the time being, but I would like this possibility as a logged on user as well (logging on and off can become pretty tedious). It also seems that I cannot access the page for public edit while I am logged in.

My .2 cents...

Andreas Paulsson

This has prompted me to write a new KB article:
http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/howto/StartEmailConversation.html

Andreas, I'm pasting in part of it here to save you logging and out:
Rather than logging in and out all day long to use this approach, you can have a "logged in" browser and a "not logged in" browser open at the same time:

Log in to FogBUGZ with "Remember me" not checked (since it works across browser windows).
Leave this browser open, it will be your "logged in" browser.
You can open and close separate browser windows all day long, your logged-in status won't be recognized in these separate windows.

Dmitri (fogcreek)

Another thought, use the Scout html form as your starting point. There's a lot of ways you can tune the form to make the UI just what you need it to be...

Daniel Berlinger
Thursday, December 18, 2003

The KB link above is broken, can anyone fix it?

Andreas Paulsson
Tuesday, February 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home