Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

FogBugz & Exchange Server

Our IT department have decided to move our email from an internal server to an oursourced MS Exchange Server, and now it appears to have broken FogBugz.

With the internal mail server I could talk to it using SMTP with no problems, but now it appears the Exchange Server doesn't talk SMTP as all our Outlooks have been changed and now I can't telnet to the server on port 25.

SO does anyone know if it is possible to setup Exchange Server so that I can email to it using SMTP?

Jon Tresadern
Monday, December 08, 2003

Assuming your IT department is competent they should be able to set up an SMTP server running on the same box as FogBUGZ to allow it (and nothing else) to send email - the existence or otherwise of Exchange on that box, or indeed anywhere else, is not relevant to FB's ability to send email.

Murph

How will that deliver the email to the FogBugz users?

They all collect their email now from the external email server so the SMTP server would have to be able to talk to the Exchange server, if people are to be able to get the Fogbugz notifications and their other email aswell.

Jon Tresadern

Fogbugz will send mail to the users in the same way as any other person external to the exchange system would send mail to those users - the SMTP server on the fogbugz box will talk to the outside world and the DNS/MX magic will cause the messages to arrive in at the exchange server which will, in turn, deliver the messages to the appropriate inboxes in exactly the same way as is if I sent an email to one of your users.

So long as the exchange users can receive mail from external users and fogbugz can send to "the internet" then there shouldn't be a problem.

Murph

I understand what you mean now.

I will see if we can get a small mail server sorted out as I am not sure if Siemens will change the Exchange Server just for one application.

Thanks for the help.

Jon Tresadern

The bottom line is that if you have FogBUGZ set up you have an SMTP server already; what I mean is that FogBUGZ currently requires IIS, and IIS has a "Default SMTP Server" built into it.

No one needs to change the Exchange server for FogBUGZ. It just receives the emails sent to you folks, in the scope of this discussion that's the end of story. So, forget about MS Exchange, it's a red herring in this issue.

You just need to give FogBUGZ an SMTP server. So, have someone set up the SMTP server in IIS, if it isn't already. That's very simple to do.

Dmitri (fogcreek)

Just to close this off, we got the outsource company to allow the Exchange Server accept SMTP mail from the FogBugz server.

Back to normal now.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and help.

Jon Tresadern
Wednesday, December 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home