Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Moving software to new host

I've been asked to host a very small company's Fogbugz system on a new remote server. From what I remember when I installed it a year ago on their LAN the license was locked to a specific machine. Is this correct? Or can I simply install it on the new server and delete it from the old?

If it is 'hardware locked' there are obviously some nasty implications when it comes to mirroring it on a hot standby - I wouldn't want to be responsible data tied to a single server, especially if it was Windows-based!

Am I seeing a problem that doesn't exist? Or if it does, what alternatives are there that are popular with ex-Fogbugz users wanting remote hosting. Thanks!

Frank Leonhardt
Monday, December 08, 2003

Nope, no problems here.  You'll be able to request a new license from the license server.

Michael H. Pryor (fogcreek)
Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Great! Thanks for that. Fortunately they've kept their order number and other details, so presumably all I need to do is install software and copy the database(?) to the shared server and it'll do whatever license stuff it needs to.

I was worried by this quote from the FogBugz program license page: "Licenses are bound to a particular computer when you install them." I've also been sent a machine ID, so I feared the worst!

Thanks, Frank

Frank Leonhardt
Wednesday, December 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home