Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board




SQL Server Problem

Hi all,

I was able to download our database and install it in SQL Server 2000 no problem but connecting to it is a bit of a different story.  When I installed FogBUGZ on our server, then tried to access it, I got an error saying "Provider cannot be found" (exact error message is at the bottom of this post.)  I then installed FogBUGZ on a different machine (my workstation) and it works just fine, connecting to the same database on the server (using the same connection string.) Both systems are running Windows 2000 SP4.  The only difference between them appears to be that my workstation has MDAC 2.7 installed, wheras the server has MDAC 2.8 installed.  Is it possible that FogBUGZ is incompatible with MDAC 2.8?  FYI- yes I have tried re-installiing MDAC on the server.  Has anyone else seen this problem or have any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks!
Patrick Gannon
Univision Management Group, Inc.
Senior Software Architect

The FogBUGZ database is down or could not be found.

For security reasons, this cannot be fixed over the web.

Please edit the registry on the FogBUGZ server. The setting you want is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fog Creek Software\FogBUGZ\E:/Program Files/FogBUGZ/website\sConnectionString.

To use SQL Server, set this to Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=server;Initial Catalog=database;Integrated Security=SSPI;

To use Access, set this to Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=filename

Or, you can always use an ODBC data source name, which you establish using the Data Sources (ODBC) control panel.

Error: 3706: Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.

Patrick Gannon
Friday, December 05, 2003

There shouldn't be any reason fogbugz (or any other app using ADO) wouldn't work with MDAC 2.8.  It's more likely that there is some misconfiguration in your windows setup (which was probably entirely not your fault, but may be only fixable by a reinstall of windows).

The error you are seeing is a result of a one single simple call from ASP
Dim db: Set db = Server.CreateObject("Adodb.Connection")
db.Open "fogbugz" ' or whichever provider/dsn string you want

This isn't a *bug* in fogbugz, but unfortunately our reliance on MSFT database connection code means our app suffers from the inability to connect while your ADO configuration is broken.  Other apps such as Access and any other ASP application would suffer the same problems.

We usually discover workarounds to msft bugs by searching google:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=3706+%22provider+cannot+be+found%22
and checking those pages, or hitting the tab to google groups! which is a great resource.

I've poked around some there and haven't come up with anything yet, but that is where you should focus your energy if you want to find a workaround.  Treat it as a generic database connection error and not as a fogbugz error and you should be able to find someone else with the same problem who found a fix.

Customer Service
Friday, December 05, 2003

The problem was that for some reason the fogbugz user did not have permission on the C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB directory.  Granting these permissions fixed the problem.

Customer Service
Monday, December 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home