Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

FogBUGZ vs. SourceForge

What is advantage of ForBUGZ over SourceForge which is free and widely used?
Thanks.

Ilja Golshtein
Friday, December 05, 2003

They're not really comparable - source forge is a fairly complete set of tools for public open source development projects which includes, amongst a lot of other things, a bug/issue tracking system.

FogBUGZ is a commercial bug/issue tracking system that you can use for any sort of project you want provided you have the required platform and licenses.

Because FogBugz is commercial software licensed on a per user basis two questions then arise, does it meet your needs (cost per user included) and do you agree (sufficiently) with the underlying philosophy. Its an excellent tool - its affordable, it works as intended and it helps me do my job better - but is only of use to a particular group of developers if it matches both needs and philosophy.

Murph
Friday, December 05, 2003

As a former user of sourceforge ( http://scoop.sourceforge.net/ username hurstdog ), its better to use FogBugz and set up your own cvs server than to use sourceforge.  Sourceforge is complex, hard to use, and confusing, in my opinion.

Andrew Hurst
Monday, December 08, 2003

Trying to install sourceforge on your own is a mess (missing tables, scripts, etc.)  Using the corporate version VA sells is way more expensive than FogBugz

Joi Osoy
Tuesday, December 30, 2003

In addtion to SourceForge, there is also an application called GForge ( http://gforge.org/ - its a fork of SourceForge from a little before it went closed source, and they've removed a lot of the hacks and such what were particular to SourceForge).

Its a neat tool, and I considered downloading and installing it; however, I was concerned about the install time. I couldn't find any documentation on how long it takes to install. When you factor in consulting time/salary time into the cost, free often isn't as cost effective as commercial.

With FogBUGZ, I was up and running in less than 2 hours, and entering bugs. The VAST majority of that (1 1/2 hours) was a brain-fart around IIS, and not double checking that it was installed before starting the FogBUGZ install.

Sean

Sean Ennis
Thursday, January 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home