Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Multiple organizations

Can FogBugZ be configured with multiple departments in mind?  For example  users in dept A cannot see dept B?

If not, what is the closest feasible deployment model?

Thanks,
Luis Marmolejo

Luis Marmolejo
Thursday, December 04, 2003

You bet:

http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/setup/WorkingwithExternalCustom.html

Dmitri (fogcreek)
Thursday, December 04, 2003

This has been requeted before I believe -- the suggested methods in the referenced document don't scale well for me.  I  own a web develoment firm, and use fogbugz, but have wished that users could be only allowed to see proejcts they are a part of.  I have appoximately 30 clients, all of which I would like to have acces to fogbugz, but I have not given them access because the only way that I can partition them off is by having a separate installation of fogbugz for each, adn that would just be a management headache.  If I could make sure that certain users are restricted in seeing their project only, I'd be buying alot more licenses (nearly one per client -- the cost of a license pays me back very quickly, but  can't have each client seeing everything else that's going on!)

Eric Vitiello
Sunday, December 07, 2003

Yes, it has certainly been requested before, and I didn't mean to indicate in my reply that we have no interest in changing FogBUGZ in this regard.

We do value input from our user base (both current and potential) regarding what they need and want as features, and user permissions is high on the list for consideration for future releases. As of late we've been focusing our efforts on a non-Windows version of FogBUGZ - an even more often requested feature.

In general, regarding talking about development plans, here's Joel's view:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/MouthWideShut.html

Dmitri (fogcreek)
Monday, December 08, 2003

I whole-heartedly agree with the need for user profiling by project!  I am a program manager for a software development/consulting firm and have been successfully using FogBugz for several of my projects over the last year.  Feedback by customers and internal users is very good, but I could virtually assure company-wide adoption of FogBugz and increased licensing if this functionality existed. 

We may be forced to replace FogBugz as our primary issue tracking system as the growing number of installations, vss configurations, email accounts, etc. is quickly becoming unmanageable by our IT staff.  Please let me know when the ability to support multiple customers and/or disparate projects is planned.     

Tim Denis
Monday, December 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home