Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Licensing of dependencies

I am evaluating FogBugZ and noticed that it needs SQL Server. 

If I have a dedicated installation of FogBugz do I need to buy a separate license from Microsoft?

If so, are there any lower-cost alternatives for multi-user scenario?

Luis Marmolejo

Luis Marmolejo
Thursday, December 04, 2003

Actually, it doesn't need SQL Server. You can use MS Access or MySQL.

Dmitri (fogcreek)

There is also a workgroup version of MS SQL - MSDE - which is more or less free (the licensing is weird...)

Murph

Last I knew, MSDE doesn't include free text search, which is the main reason to use SQL Server in the first place.  Unless of course you have really high traffic, in which case MSDE would certainly be better than Access. But for smaller loads, you might be just as happy with Access. 

Dmitri (fogcreek)

Ah - my bad, I hadn't realised that full text search was excluded, does move the goalposts slightly.

Murph
Friday, December 05, 2003

Dmitri: can you clarify "really high traffic"? We've got just under 1,000 bugs in our database (thankfully, most of them are closed!) and 3-4 developers who rely on FogBUGZ to tell them what to do next. Response times are acceptable without being spectactular.

Hardware issues aside, what kind of volume/size should we let the database get to (the .MDB is currently ~30MB) before you'd recommend MSDE/SQL Server over Access?

Andrew Lighten
Friday, December 05, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home