Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

PHP

Are there any plans to provide a PHP / Linux version of FogBugz ? I have been looking at the ASP code, and porting to PHP should not be a problem.

Daniel Gehriger
Thursday, November 20, 2003

Yes, plans are in the works.  We're testing it right now.  No release date at this time.

And, nope, it wasn't simple.  FogBugz uses lots of COM objects .. no way to port those.  We wrote a compiler that translates the asp code to php so we can do compile time changes to the source.  Wouldn't have been too difficult to do a one time translate, but then any new changes to the source would have to be written in both instances.  Now we can just do feature additions to the asp code and they appear in the php code as well.

Michael H. Pryor (fogcreek)
Thursday, November 20, 2003

That's excellent news ! Let me know if you need a beta tester...

I am currently running FogBugz on XP inside VMware on Linux. The DB is MySQL running on Linux, so I can easily hook up the PHP version of FogBugz to the same DB.

Daniel Gehriger
Friday, November 21, 2003

I would be able to test a PHP version if you need another helping hand.  My box has both MySQL and SQL Server along with ASP and PHP, so I could even test both ASP and PHP versions off the same box and against the same database.

Wade Winningham
Tuesday, November 25, 2003

How about publishing that "converter" as open source? :)

Sérgio
Thursday, January 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home