Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What is the No.1 bug tracking system?

FogBugz sounds like just the job for the company I work for and I've recommended it to the boss. He wants to know what the No.1 bug tracking software is and why I'm not recommending that. This is a fair question that I need to be able to answer. Does anyone know what the No.1 (or top few) bug tracking systems are by market share?

David Easley
Monday, November 10, 2003

I'd suggest the most used bug tracking system is the crappy one that was built in-house.

Andrew Lighten

The most popular pizza in the U.S. is likely Domino's or Pizza Hut.  That certainly doesn't make them the best pizza makers.

James Shields

bugzilla is heavily used.  But you can quote the fact that about half of the competetive upgrades for FogBugz are migrations from bugzilla.  Thats what I'm doing today, coincidentally.  Well worth it, in my opinion.

Andrew Hurst

Bug-tracking is an unbelievably fragmented market segment.  There are lots and lots of players, many of which are profitable.

First of all, I doubt that you can definitively find an answer to this question, especially if you don't have finer parameters.  Is revenue the criteria?  Or number of users?  Or what?  Even if you have the criteria, nobody collects all this information and does any sort of ranking.  The marketing research firms will sell you an answer, but I'm not convinced it's the one you want.

Most importantly, the person who asked this question will want to be aware of what it means to be the number one in this market.  There are so many players that the number one player probably has less than 10 percent total market share.

I got yet another lesson in the fragmentation of this market at the PDC a couple weeks ago.  Lots of people came into the SourceGear booth to ask about Vault and its integration with bug-tracking.  Two things were stunning:

1.  A few people mentioned bug-tracking products I had never heard of.  (And I thought I had studied this market rather carefully.)

2.  We told everyone that FogBUGZ is the only bug-tracking system which integrates with Vault.  Not one of those people had ever heard of FugBUGZ.  None.

Being the number one bug-tracking system product is a little like being the number one dancer on a chorus line, except a bit less prestigious.

Eric Sink
Tuesday, November 11, 2003

> bugzilla is heavily used.  But you can quote the fact
> that about half of the competetive upgrades for FogBugz
> are migrations from bugzilla. 
... which is probably due to the fact that using or merely mentioning Bugzilla is worth a 30% discount when purchasing FogBUGZ.

Christian Severin
Friday, November 14, 2003

>> you can quote the fact
>> that about half of the competetive upgrades for FogBugz
>> are migrations from bugzilla. 
> ... which is probably due to the fact that using or merely mentioning
> Bugzilla is worth a 30% discount when purchasing FogBUGZ.

No. Upgrading from *any* bugtracking system gets the discount.

Pete Verdon
Friday, November 28, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home