Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Pre-populating the bug description

We use an Excel spreadsheet to monitor test cases, users key details about the results of the test.

I'd quite like to add a button or formula into Excel, so that if users want to raise a bug and they click on a certain cell, IE will be opened with a HTTP request containing data that can be pre-populated in the bug description.

Does FogBugz support any kind of HTTP request in this way?  I had a look at bugzScout but I want the user to be shown the description to be reviewed and the other data to be completed.

Thanks
Adam

Adam Smith
Tuesday, October 14, 2003

What you need to do is edit dlgBugEditing.asp... Look for the <textarea part.. then just add your code to write out Request("bugtemplate") or something like that..

so when you hit the page with bugtemplate=foo, it will write foo in the initial textarea for the bug.. then just write your excel button to hit the "New Case" url plus your bugtemplate text.

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Thanks Michael, that helps.  However I'm not sure I explained my question as well as I could!

Rather than wanting to create a bug template, I want to be able to pass some of the data from the spreadsheet.  So, for instance if the tester has keyed data in the spreadsheet saying 'Application crashed' and then pressed the button, I want Excel to follow an HTML link looking something like...

http://xxx.xxx.xxx/fogbugz/default.asp?command=new&pg=pgEditBug&textarea="Application crashed"

Hence FB would then stick  'Application crashed' in the text area.

Is this possible?

Thanks
Adam

Adam Smith
Thursday, October 16, 2003

Yup, that's exactly what I was explaining above.  In my case the text was "foo" but you could make it anything you want...  Of course, you will need to modify dlgbugediting.asp like I described above for this to happen.

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, October 16, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home