Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Editing committed file list

We have integrated CVS with fogbugz, and have a question about changing the list of commits to a case. For example, what do you do when a developer accidentally commits a file with the wrong BugzID? There doesn't seem to be any way to fix it. The same can be said if he forgets to include the BugzID; how can you add in the file to make that list thorough and accurate?

Philip Yurchuk
Friday, October 03, 2003

The only way to edit these things is in the database table itself... CVS...

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, October 03, 2003

Wouldn't the database to be modified (in my case) be MySQL? Or are you saying that FogBUGZ somehow queries CVS to get the list of checkins? I thought that upon commit, CVS runs the Fog Creek-supplied perl script, which connects that file/version to the specified case within the database, and from then on queries the database. If that were true, FogBUGZ could have a screen to add/edit/delete files/versions associated with the case. This would allow project managers to keep that list thorough and accurate.

I realize you sometimes leave out features for our own good, but I can't fathom why there'd be no way to correct mistakes.

Philip Yurchuk
Monday, October 06, 2003

Just an opinion, but the trouble with adding screens to allow people to change things is that that people will as often when they shouldn't as when they should...

In fact, human nature being what it is, I suspect it would more likely be abused than used... (hmm, I must be at a lowish point in the cycle!)

Murph
Thursday, October 09, 2003

I see your point, but I also see a difference between "changing" and "correcting". To help prevent (or at least minimize) frivolous modifications, you could restrict that function to the admin role. I'd be happy with that. In fact, I'd probably prefer it.

Philip Yurchuk
Friday, October 10, 2003

Michael is a man of few words. He was referring to the CVS table in your FogBUGZ database.

You can open that and make any edits you need. ixBug is the case ID.

-Customer Service

Dmitri Kalmar
Wednesday, October 15, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home