Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Intermittent "Login failed for user (null)" errors

My uses are occasionally getting the error below.

Needless to say, the registry key on the FogBUGZ server is correct, and the database is not actually down.

Any ideas?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The FogBUGZ database is down or could not be found.

For security reasons, this cannot be fixed over the web.

Please edit the registry on the FogBUGZ server. The setting you want is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fog Creek Software\FogBUGZ\C:/Program Files/FogBUGZ/website\sConnectionString.

To use SQL Server, set this to Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=server;Initial Catalog=database;Integrated Security=SSPI;

To use Access, set this to Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=filename

Or, you can always use an ODBC data source name, which you establish using the Data Sources (ODBC) control panel.

Error: -2147467259: Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.

Michael Dorfman
Friday, October 03, 2003

I found a bunch of things online:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Error%3A+%2D2147467259%3A+Login+failed+for+user+%27%28null%29%27

Some are microsoft knowledge base articles that basically say the user isn't correct.

Two things I can think of if it works sometimes is 1. your fogbugz users is in active directory or some domain server and the connection to that machine isn't super stable.  2. you may have windows authentication accidentally enabled for the authentication methods in the directory security tab of the fogbugz iis properties.

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, October 03, 2003

I get this too, using MySQL; the version recommened in the FogBugz install notes.  Everthing worked fine until we upgraded to FogBUGZ Version 3.1.9 (DB 328). 

It might have also occured after upgrading our version of Windows 2000 to the latest service patch.  I'm really not sure since the problem is intermitent and only occurs after a day of use or so.

Refreshing the web page eventually gets the page to work, but it's frustrating and eventually we need to reboot the FogBugz server as it gets progressively worse. 

I was given the suggestion to upgrade ODBC, and I did find an upgrade for the latest Jet drivers, but still no luck.  It's not clear exactly what version of ODBC I should be using. 

Any suggestions?

Richard Myers
Monday, November 17, 2003

Oops, I see that my error is different, I'll post a new thread for this.

Richard Myers
Monday, November 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home