Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

close multiple cases bug?

I closed 5 cases yesterday all at the same time.  I did it from the grid view, by checking the 5 cases and hitting the close button.

The result was each of the 5 cases has the "closed by Scott Stonehouse" message 3 times.  They are duplicated except the date stamp is two minutes apart: 3:20, 3:22 and 3:24pm.

Usually I only close one case at a time, so I haven't seen this before.  Is this a known bug?  I am using version 3.1.9.

Is it safe to just delete the dupes in the BugEvent table (SQL Server), or is there more to it than that?

Scott Stonehouse
Tuesday, September 30, 2003

I've entered this into our own FogBUGZ. The developer who will be looking into it is out of the office for the next couple of days.

In general, I wouldn't officially recommend ever deleting anything from the database, because some things are tied in ways you might not immediately guess....

Customer Service

I can't deplicate this problem... I tried creating 5 test cases and closing them all, everything worked properly. 

However, it must be a FogBugz bug, not just something stupid that I did.  I say this because the cases in question all have three entries in a row - "closed by Scott Stonehouse..."  Note they are not marked as re-opened, only closed three times in a row.

Since FogBugz doesn't allow a user to close a closed case, I couldn't have done something stupid, and there must be an issue somewhere.

Scott Stonehouse

Would hitting refresh on the browser after you did the bulk close operation cause the browser to submit the closes again?

ChrisO

You're absolutely right.  I tested this, and anything can be done mutiple times.  Reopen, resolve, close, whatever. 

Guess I did do something stupid after all.

However, it shouldn't be hard to have FogBugz check the database prior to inserting the record.  You obviously should not be allowed to do any of those things twice in a row.

Would this be a possibility for the next update?

Scott Stonehouse
Wednesday, October 01, 2003

We'll add this to the list of feature requests.

Customer Service
Wednesday, October 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home