Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Fix-for version sorting (again)

We're using the fix-for version as a sort of super-priority.  In general, all version 4.1 items have higher priority than all version 4.2 items, which have higher priority than all "Future version" items, etc.

So, to get the list of items sorted by true priority, we would sort by fix-for version, then by priority.

Problem is, the fix-for version doesn't sort as we would like it--they're alphabetical.  Using the cutoff dates isn't that nice because we'd have to use fake dates for future versions and so forth.

What it comes down to is, we'd really like to have an arbitrary sort order for fix-for versions.

Chris Dunford
Tuesday, February 12, 2002

In FogBUGZ 3.0 the default will be to sort by date when grouping by fixfor.

If you gotta have this now, try this:

* open Website\summary.asp in your favorite programmer's editor
* goto line 273

it says:
case "11":FieldFromNumber = "FixFor.sFixFor"

change it to:
case "11":FieldFromNumber = "FixFor.dt"

Joel Spolsky

... if you have a bunch of blank dates, and you want those sorted alphabetically, change it to

case "11":FieldFromNumber = "FixFor.dt, FixFor.sFixFor"

Joel Spolsky

Joel,

Thanks, but that isn't exactly what we're looking for. Neither a date sort nor an alpha sort works correctly in our case.  We have these versions:

Emergency [fix it NOW and release a hot patch]
Maintenance [fix for next quarterly maintenance update]
Version 4.1 [our next release]
Version 4.2 [ the release after that]
Future version

That is the order we'd like to have them sorted.  We could do it using dates, but all except Maintenance and 4.1 would have to be bogus dates made up solely for this purpose. Not only would we have to keep changing them to keep the sort order correct, but they also display wherever the fix-for version displays. It's annoying to see them when everyone knows that they're fake.  It also makes me itchy to use a field for an unintended purpose like that.

We tried putting numbers in front of them (1. Emergency, 2. Maintenance, etc.) but it looked terrible and was confusing with the numbered versions.

Chris Dunford
Wednesday, February 13, 2002

Joel.

Useful - thanks.

Chris,

Makes sense to me, not sure if the reward is worth the extra hassle of manually maintaining the sort order but then again I'm still new to this and I am the development department...

Murph

Chris,

Modify your FixFor table to have an extra column - ixSort.  Then just put in 1,2,3,4,5 the way you want them and change the line joel said to change to FixFor.ixSort.

Michael H. Pryor

Michael,

Bingo. Thanks.

Chris Dunford

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home