Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Differences between Scout and email

I am developing and supporting a web based application (learning lots as I go) hence this feature of scout is very attractive for obvious reasons (see below):

"If the description field matches exactly to any other bug, this submission will be APPENDED to that bug's history, and a new bug will NOT be created. The occurrences field for this bug will increase by 1"

Unfortunately fogbugz is not running on a public facing server and I am not really in a position to change this for the time being... so I have my app emailing errors to fogbugz - which works a treat. Except of course that being a web app the users tend to generate the same error several times in a row before they give up... So, would it be possible enable the same (similar) functionality for cases received by email ?? Or am I missing something already (-:

Murph
Wednesday, September 24, 2003

It's possible but you'll have to edit your code.  In order to make this a feature we'd have to look at a) the sender b) the subject and c) some part of the message to make sure it was the same.  If in your case, the email messages will be EXACTLY the same, this will be pretty easy.  Just change dispatcho.asp to act more like scoutSubmit.asp.

Customer Service

Thanks, one has thus far managed to avoid coding in ASP having timed my arrival in web app development to after this nice new .NET stuff appeared (-:

Still, if it can be done its probably worthwhile! I'll endeavour to take a look at some point.

Murph

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home