Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board




I think the Win2K SP3 stomped on my ODBC connectio

I upgraded our webserver to SP3 a little while ago and just noticed that suddenly FogBugz is complaining that the database is down or couldn't be found. I've double-checked the ODBC connection (created under system) from another app., and it can connect OK. I thought this might be a security thing so I double-checked the Bugz.MDB permissions and IUSR/IWAM should have "full" access to it. I'm not seeing any entries in the event log to give me any more hints.

In the HKLM\Software\Fog Creek Software\FogBugz (blah blah) registry key, the Provider is set to the ODBC system name (in my case, "FogBugz").

At this point, I'm just guessing there is a correlation between the SP and the problem w/FogBugz (it's the only change we've recently made).

The raw error being returned is: Error: -2147467259: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.

Has anyone run into this, or give me any clues as to what else I should be looking at? I'm sure it's something simple, but I'm not seeing it right now.

Paul Mrozowski
Thursday, September 11, 2003

I found some links searching on google:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=The+Microsoft+Jet+database+engine+cannot+open+the+file+%27%28unknown%29%27

--> http://www.macromedia.com/support/ultradev/ts/documents/8004005_cannot_open_unknown.htm

--> http://dbforums.com/arch/213/2002/12/630384

--> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q306/2/69.ASP&NoWebContent=1

In the site configuration screen, try changing the connection to OLE.  Just fill in the path name to the access file under the Access section of the database setup in FogBUGZ.

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, September 11, 2003

I downloaded a copy of FileMon from Sysinternals and watched what it was attempting to access. I noticed that DLLHOST was trying to create a file named "JET35F8.tmp" in the \Documents and Settings\Default User folder. I added permission to this folder for the IUSR/IWAM accounts and it started to work again.

Paul Mrozowski
Thursday, September 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home