Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

More control over notification

I saw this issue discussed earlier on this discussion board, but the discussions seem to be six months old or older and I haven't seen anything recently on the subject that indicates where things stand now.

If one of the stated goals of FogBUGZ is to fix it so the complete history of an issue is maintained in the FogBUGZ database itself, without email discussions taking place on the side, adding a greater ability to control when people receive email notification would help a lot.  I'd like to see the following things:

1) The ability to subscribe other people to a bug.  A lot of people seemed to be asking for this in this forum about six months ago, but I haven't seen anything recently indicating where Fog Creek stands on this issue and whether we'll be seeing it in the product anytime soon.

2) The ability to subscribe to an entire project or area, rather than just to individual bugs.  That is, I want to get notified whenever anyone files a bug against a particular project and whenever anyone else edits any of the bugs in that project.

These two things would make it much easier to have conversations about individual issues within the system and for various members of the dev team to see what the other members of the dev team are doing and why.  Right now, we're having to do this stuff either by manually copying FogBUGZ comments into emails or by having email conversations on the side.

Are either of these things even on the list of things you plan to do?

Richard Gillam
Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Yes, we're definitely considering these additions.

Michael H. Pryor

That's very good news.  Is there anything you can say about timeframe or probability?

Richard Gillam

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/MouthWideShut.html

Michael H. Pryor

I agree that having the ability to subscribe other folks would be a great idea (i've even seen it suggested here in the past few weeks)... Project-level subscriptions would be good too, and should encompass a previous poster's request to auto-subscribe themself to any bugs they enter.

I'd also like to see the ability to send an email (like to a customer) from within FogBugz in cases where the case didn't originate via email (like a phone call).

john mulhollen
Thursday, September 11, 2003

This is exactly what I was asking for in my CC post earlier this week. It would be terrific to be able to both subscribe others on bug submission, as well as subscribe yourself to an entire project.

Thanks!

Gillian Gutenberg
Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Yes, these are features that I need too!

1) The ability to subscribe other people to a bug.

2) The ability to subscribe to an entire project or area, rather than just to individual bugs.
(without modifying the source code myself,  http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/howto/SubscribetoAllBugs.html  )

Please give strong consideration to these features for the next FogBUGZ release.

QA Tester
Wednesday, October 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home