Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Scout Documentation?

I'm looking for documentation on scout: i've already waded through the [nicely documented] scoutSample.html, but seem to be missing the variables that cause scout to provide information such as whether to continue reporting or not, the "scout message", and how to get "occurences" to increment (THAT variable is mentioned in the documentation, but doesn't seem to display anywhere). Also, how do i shorten the title without cutting off the description? And is there a way to send the user to an ASP (not an "ASP Page", as that would be redundant), rather than just displaying some text? Yes, I know that scoutSubmit is for automated submissions...

John Mulhollen
Monday, September 08, 2003

First, read this article which is included in the latest version of help.  Then check out the scout readme and the scout visual basic project in addition to scoutsample.html.

http://our.fogbugz.com/UsingFogBUGZtoGetCrashRep.asp

You need to upgrade to 3.1.9 to get the lastest documentation for BugzScout.  There is this line in scoutsample.html:
"If the description field matches exactly to any other bug, this submission will be APPENDED to that bug's history, and a new bug will NOT be created. The occurrences field for this bug will increase by 1"

Scout message and Continue reporting are controlled WITHIN fogbugz itself, when you edit a bugzscout submitted bug.

Check out scoutSubmit.asp to find out what happens when the bug is submitted.. You'll see there that the bug title is derived from the description field but only the first 128 characters...

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, September 09, 2003

Where is the "occurences" field that is incremented by 1? I don't seem to see it in FB.

john mulhollen

unfortunately, i didn't find a "scout readme" file, and notepad doesn't like the vb files (and i'm not willing to purchase vb just to read this code)... I have read the kb article you reference.  Is there anything else, short of finding the class files that define the bugzscout objects, that is available?

john mulhollen

Besides reading scoutSubmit.asp? Nope, thats about it.  The occurrences field... are you looking for that in the FogBUGZ interface? (it appears only when there are more than one and only in the list view, not the grid view... says something like (3 occurrences)) or are you looking for it in the FogBUGZ database?  It's the c field in the Bug Table.

Michael H. Pryor

Ah... the "c" field...I see that apparently the ONLY place it appears is the list view (not even in view or edit!).

I think that's a bug and there should be an indication in view/edit to show how many times it's happened... Just display "c" whenever it's not-null and greater than 1.

john mulhollen
Thursday, September 11, 2003

Maybe append " (x{c})" to the end of a bug's description where c is non-zero? So something that has occurred 7 times will always be shown as "blah blah (x7)"?

Andrew Lighten
Friday, September 12, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home