Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board




Spam not auto-deleting?

I have all our email accounts configured to delete SPAM after 7 days. While performing a query, I came across a case which looked like this:

Status:  Closed: Resolved (SPAM)       
Assigned To:    CLOSED
Category:          Inquiry       

From:                (a spammer)
Date:                Sun, 08 Jun 2003 01:06:06 +0000       

I'm no math expert, but I think today is more than 7 days past June 8th.

Any ideas?

Steve Kalkwarf
Friday, September 05, 2003

Can you take the DELETE sql query from dispatcho.asp for Resolved SPAM and change it to a select and see if it selects that row?  That will tell us whether its the Query or whether its dispatcho not hitting the URL.

You are running the Fog Creek Software Dispatcho Service right?

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, September 05, 2003

Dispatcho is running (all my mail is imported correctly, and the Services control panel shows it as "Running".

I can't figure out how to take the query from your asp, and execute it in the MySQL admin tool. (when I try to run what I think is the query, I get back 1064 errors)

Can you give me the exact string to type into winmysqladmin to check the query?

Steve Kalkwarf
Friday, September 05, 2003

Possible cause:

Dispatcho only deletes cases that are associated with a current/existing mailbox record.  If it's associated with a mailbox record that you've deleted, then the case will sit forever.  Not sure if this is your problem, but this happened to me when I moved POP servers and setup new mailbox records for the new mail server (and deleted the old mailbox records).

Jon
Friday, September 05, 2003

It happened here as well.

Yesterday, we found out we had ~48000 closed cases that were resolved as spam in the SQL db, the oldest was dated july 31st.

Executing the DELETE query (modified to a SELECT) took a good half hour... So I figured that when dispatcho hits the ASP page responsible for the delete, a timeout would occur and dispatcho would not complain.

So we manually ran the DELETE commands, and everything seems to be back to normal now.

(BTW, the DELETE commands are located in the Sub DeleteSPAM() near the end of editDispatcho.asp (in v3.1.5))


If a timeout really is the cause of the problem, it would be great if dispatcho would catch the timeout and notify the admin...

Also, we found out that there are no indexes at all in the SQL database. A query analysis revealed a *lot* of table scans going on, which I've been told aren't cheap... Our dba plans to try to optimize the bd a bit (at least creating proper indexes), but it would be great if this was out-of-the-box!


Pascal

Pascal Bourque
Tuesday, September 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home