Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Groups

I miss group-functionality.
If I want to assign bugs to a group of people, this seems impossible.
Also mailing to more then one FogBUGZ user at a time is not possible at the moment.

Will group-functionality be added soon ?

Adrie Bouwmeester
Thursday, September 04, 2003

You can always create role accounts with the email address being a list alias or the like...

I'm not sure it's a good managment practice... things assigned to groups don't tend to get done, but it might be completely legit in your case.

Daniel Berlinger
Thursday, September 04, 2003

Creating role accounts needs extra licenses, we don't have.
Also, on a role account, I cannot issue emails to more then one person. With a true group account, I can send all of the group a mail, when a bug is assigned to the group.

Solving bugs is often done by a group of people, were all the bugs are in a bin (assigned to that group). A member of the group takes out a bug (assigning it to himself) and fixes it, and takes out the next one.

Assigning bugs right when they are issued, doesn't work well if time to be spend on each bug is hard to tell. (As with most bugs) If solving some bugs takes far more time then exspected, you have to reassign bugs etc. etc.

Adrie Bouwmeester
Friday, September 05, 2003

>>> Also, on a role account, I cannot issue emails to more then one person.

You can if you make the role accounts email address be a list alias on the mail server like Daniel Suggested.

Jim Correia

Assigning multiple users to a particular bug:

http://www.fogcreek.com/fogbugz/kb/howto/Assigningmultipleuserstoa.html

Michael H. Pryor

Making use of an email group is ok, but having to buy extra licenses to be able to assign bugs to a group of people just isn't acceptable.

Adrie Bouwmeester
Monday, September 08, 2003

and not so easy to use since people don't see them in 'my cases' under their ordinary account. My cases might also include 'our cases' (for the group)

Filters on 2 persons (me or group) are not possible as far as I know.

Adriaan van den Brand
Wednesday, September 10, 2003

The only correct way to work with groups would be if two or more users are assigned to a group.
When a bug is assigned to that group, al members of that group receive an email that a bug is assigned to him/her as a meber of a group.
Everyone of that group should have a filter, showing the not resolved bugs assigned to that group.
Working order should be than to select the one he/she wants to resolve, and reassign it to him/herself.

This way of working lays responsability to the developers who have to solve the bugs, not (only) to the manager. He has other things to do than to say who has to solve what.
Ofcourse he watches progress on the background.

Since all the mentioned workarounds don't work, I really hope FogCreek will note this to be implemented in a future release !!!!

If more developers agree with me, it would help if they give their reaction too, to support the request.

Adrie Bouwmeester
Wednesday, September 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home