Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

<font> tags in comments

I understand that allowing any arbitrary HTML in the comments for a case is a security risk.  However, would it be possible to support the <font> tag?  That would allow things such as bold, italic, underline, color, etc.  These would be useful in conveying emphasis to certain words or phrases when describing a case.

Mat
Friday, August 29, 2003

I've always maintained that whilst HTML in email is overkill it would have been nice to have a basic set of markup i.e. propers paragraphs, bold, italic, underline for formatting and, ideally, lists. (Oh, and "quoted" for the stuff to which you are replying.)

Much the same applies here - the full font tag is probably way more thn is neeed, but support for say <em>, <strong> and <code> might have merit.

murph
Monday, September 01, 2003

Dangerous! if a tag is not closed then the result becomes browser dependent...
e.g. <b my long bug description</b> might not display anything...

So, better no support than raw support for me.

Adriaan van den Brand
Monday, September 01, 2003

i agree with Adriaan: no support is better.

As to browser-dependent: in theory, no; reality, however, is a whole nuther ball of wax. According to the HTML spec, unrecognized tags should be ignored. so, in his example, <b blah blah blah </b>, it should all be ignored. Of course, our mileage DOES vary, and it IS browser-dependent.

jack
Monday, September 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home