Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

WinCVS and FogBugz integration

hi all,

we've been trying to get wincvs and fogbugz to work together all day to no avail...  we've followed the steps given by the help section of fogbugz, and it still does not work...  are there any special nuances that we are not aware of? 

for example, we've noticed that there's a "-m" option of commit...  in regular cvs, when you commit, a message box will pop up where you can populate your message into the log box...  but in wincvs, the box is already there, and i believe the "-m" option is what pops it in...  however, in logBuzData.pl (which is one of the files that we have to modify), the log is read in using stdin...  during debugging, we've noticed that this log is empty, and could be our problem... 

so if anyone has gotten wincvs and fogbugz to work, please help...  thanks in advance...

Mau-En Lee
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

If you know perl, then the best bet is to add some debugging lines to the logbugdata.pl script.  WinCVS should be operating exactly the same as normal cvs.

Have you tried testing it with the command line cvs to see if it works?  It's more likely that the setup is just not right, than it is that WinCVS is the culprit.

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

hi michael,

thanks for your reply!!!  we have tried to put debug print statements in the fogbugz provided perl script logBugData.pl...  however, we've noticed that the parameters passed in by loginfo are not being set and also the logmsg in logBugData.pl is not being set either...  the while loop that sets the logmsg is not even being entered...  we think that it is because it is expecting a stdin, but no stdin is provided...  the issue w/ the loginfo parameters passed in may or may not deal w/ the logmsg issue...  if anyone has any suggestions, it is deeply appreciated...

Mau-En Lee
Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Are you sure logbugdata.pl is even being called?
I doubt WinCVS is the culprit .. since the cvs server itself is the one that that calls the commands in loginfo.  You aren't using CVSNT are you?

Michael H. Pryor
Wednesday, August 27, 2003

For what its worth, we have cvs integration working a treat with cvsnt (and viewcvs and cvsmail).

murph
Thursday, August 28, 2003

yes, we are in fact using cvsnt on our server...  we've made sure that logBugData.pl is being called because we've placed print statements in there, and upon a commit, we can see it in the output window of winCVS...  thanks again for everyone's responses!!!

Mau-En Lee

If you are using CVSNT, you should try using the vbscript version of logbugdata.  It's called logbugdata.vbs and its in the fogbugz\accessories folder.

Michael H. Pryor

Now he tells us the bit about there being vbs for CVSNT...

Might want to update the docs to make that more obvious (-:

murph
Friday, August 29, 2003

thanks for the tip about using the vbs version of logBugData...  but there was no file named logBugData.vbs...  there is, however, a logBugDataP4.vbs...  i'm assuming that this is the one to use???  the only reason i ask is because there is a logBugDataP4.pl as well, and i didn't use that one...  i will post more if i get it working so that others can learn of this as well...  thanks again!!!

Mau-En Lee
Friday, August 29, 2003

alas, the logBugDataP4.vbs looks like is for Perforce...  we are using cvs...  so it did not work... is there a vbs version of logBugData that is for CVS?

Mau-En Lee
Friday, August 29, 2003

Hi -
If it's not in your accessories folder, I'm guessing you don't have 3.1.9?
If you email us at fogbugz@fogcreek.com I'll send you a copy of this file.

Dmitri Kalmar
Friday, August 29, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home