Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

permanently delete items?

Is there a way to purge items? I have some test cases that are guaranteed to have no relevance in the feature; yet they come up in searching closed cases (e.g. "test" is also a relevant keyword in software development).

Adriaan van den Brand
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

You can't truly delete anything using the FogBUGZ UI.

This is essentially to protect the history that is kept, e.g. if you kill the bug in the Bug table the history can no longer point to it.

If you know of a bug that has no history and is not referenced by any other bugs, not subscribed to by any users, etc. etc., I supposed you could safely delete that row from the database manually, but we don't recommend it and I can't guarantee that kind of thinking won't lead to FogBUGZ errors.

Dmitri Kalmar
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

May be you could an 'archive and purge' option to the long list of feature requests... ;-)

The other option would be to 'hide' projects or bugs from default searches. Or place those items just at the end of the search results. There is a difference between 'just fixed and closed' and 'closed and long forgotten'.

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, August 28, 2003

Here's a trick:
On the Site config page, there are options for Delete SPAM After x Days and Delete Inquiries After x Days.

To delete a case (along with all references to that case etc.) you can turn it into an inquiry and then resolve it as spam, with Delete SPAM After x Days set to 1 day.

Or, if you don't use FB for email at all, i.e. don't have any inquiris in your system, simply turn the case into an inquiry and set Delete Inquiries After x Days to 1.

In a future version we could potentially add a Delete *Closed Cases* After x Days option. Would you like to put in a vote for that?

Dmitri Kalmar
Friday, August 29, 2003

My preference would be:
1) archive project; archive &  purge closed
2) mark 'closed' items as deleted after some days; option to purge all marked items in batch in admin mode. (First check, then delete!)
Just delete after close would be too risky I guess.

Adriaan van den Brand
Sunday, August 31, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home