Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

project leaders

I miss the ability to give the project leaders extra rights (e.g. to create releases and manage their project). Should I give all project leaders admin rights?

Adriaan van den Brand
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

I wouldn't want to tell you how to manage your user access, but yes, it sounds like you want to make your project managers into admins.

Dmitri Kalmar
Monday, August 25, 2003

Hmm... I would prefer to give them full rights to manage their projects and all users involved; not the whole company. I'll give it a thought though. Please note management of project rights, members etc. as a feature request.

Adriaan van den Brand
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

To separate out your user access - *admin* access more to the point - you may want to use separate FogBUGZ instances side by side. For more details check this out:

https://shop.fogcreek.com/?3035redd
(Look at #3 in particular)

FYI, this does not eat up your licenses because FB licenses are based on the total number of individual humans using FB, i.e. not the number of machines or installations etc.

Dmitri Kalmar
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Nope, this would be too much separation. Some projects are tightly and others are loosely related; it is all in the same company on 2 ranges of products.

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, August 28, 2003

I agree with Adriaan.

It should be the responsibility of the project leader to generate areas and versions, but he can’t be allowed to change ODBC-connection for example.

In our organization we have quite a lot of projects and the developers are often members of more then one project. So there is a problem.

We cant  let all the project leaders have fogbugz-admin right and the ability to disrupt FogBugz  for all the other projects. On the other hand there is great overhead to force the project-leaders to request the changes from the sysman. And on the third hand it is also great overhead to create e separate FogBugz-instance for each project.

The Project-leader admin roll is much wanted.

Nils
Thursday, December 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home