Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Hosting

I think FogBugz is great and would like to use it, but I do not want to pay $500/month for a Windows server for which I have no other use.  Since it doesn't seem to be offered as a hosted service, what's the next best alternative?

Lee Semel
Thursday, August 14, 2003

Do you have any other windows boxes around?

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, August 14, 2003

I want to set up FogBugz for a group of developers who are working remotely.

I have extra Windows boxes, but I couldn't just set one up here to host a web application, because of the Internet connection, which prevents hosting and has a dynamic IP. 

The choices are renting a dedicated Windows box at a hosting company. or upgrading to business grade service which lets you do your own hosting with a dedicated IP (but is nearly as expensive as renting a server).

If the software were offered as a hosted application with a monthly per user fee, I'd consider that.  I'd definitely purchase it if it were offered in a form that could run with Linux and MySQL.

Otherwise, I'll have to consider some of the free Linux based bug trackers, despite their inferior user interfaces and features.

Lee Semel
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Yes, unfortunately at this point, the costs of hosting a server and managing it (including the billing) make our minimum hosting price somewhat high. 

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, August 18, 2003

Are you considering some kind of partnership with a hosting company such as Interland?

Olivier Travers
Friday, August 22, 2003

Michael,

Is it completely necessary to host each FogBugz installation on a separate server?  You have a 45-day FogBugz demo -- would it be possible to host multiple database of paying customers on one box, as you do now?  I'd be happy using something like this, as long as my data and accounts would stick around after the 45 days, and I could download or backup the data periodically.

As Joel says, reduce the price of your product's complements.

Lee

Lee Semel
Monday, August 25, 2003

Or as an alternative, would it be possible for one of your customers to setup a FogBugz ASP solution ?

My guess is that the answer to that is no !

However, would Fog Creek be interested in partnering with a company that would do that, and pay Fog Creek a license fee / royalty per hosted user ?

anu
Thursday, August 28, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home