Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

HTML Email Problem

When a user or a client sends an HTML-formatted message to the fogbugz mail account that I set up, the case is automatically assigned but the text of the message is displayed with all the HTML markup.  I cannot tell all my users that they can only use this program if they set their mail programs to use "plain text".  Is there some setting that I have wrong?  Is there a work around.  I have version 3.1.7, which I understand is the latest release.

Kiere El-Shafie
Monday, August 11, 2003

This is the current correct behavior.  We do not display HTML emails, except as source, due to security problems.  Since most people run their bug servers on their internal network, we can't just display any old html message which could take advantage of some security flaw.

If the email client sends both an HTML part and a plain text part as most mailers do, since email is generally text only, then it will display correctly.

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, August 11, 2003

But it takes up so much space and is so illegible that it is more work for me to turn the e-mail into something readable than it is for me to create the problem report myself.  Why have users e-mail the problems at all.  I have to scroll halfway down the page just to see the fix that I typed in.  I almost renders the logging useless.

If I can figure out a way to make Outlook attach the plain text version of the e-mail, will fogBUGZ choose that version over the HTML source version?  I just don't see how displaying the HTML source code is helpful at all.

Kiere El-Shafie
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home