We are sucessfully using FogBugz for some time. We like it a lot, however we did some customizations to have the following features:
- Auto logon, based on Windows domain account system
- Bunch of new attributes that allow us to store customer's view on the case
- Our custom set of case statuses with custom rules for auto-assignment when status changes
- Some minor features (dates always in ISO 8601 format, release names > 20 characters, lots of cosmetic changes in UI)
As the company grows, it becomes clear to us that we need even more customizations in order to support our processes. The features we would love to have are:
- Project groups (hierarchy), with shared (inheritable) release versions
- More contact persons per project
- Customizable workflow, so we could define our own rules some other way than hacking the FogBugz code
- Customizable case attributes
I know your 'Radio Silence' policy, but it would be very helpful to know the feature roadmap for Fogbugz. I have to make the decision if we wait for 4.0, hack the changes ourselves or search for other tool.
Friday, July 25, 2003
It's really hard to answer that with any integrity at all :)
Obviously, I think you should wait for version 4.0. You're not in the business of building and customizing your own bug tracking software, and doing that would be a distraction from what you are actually in the business of doing.
But I don't want to say, "yes, 4.0 will have feature X," because frankly, it might not. We might plan to do it and run out of time. More commonly, we say we're going to do something and then discover that the feature you had in mind was not the feature we had in mind. For example, you said "Lots of cosmetic changes in UI." Well, one thing I can promise you is that the cosmetic changes you're imagining are very unlikely to coincide with the cosmetic changes we are imagining, and any promises we make are likely to be disappointments.
So the best I can do is say: look at our track record of continous enhancements to FogBUGZ. 3.0 had about 50 major new features. We've been selling this thing for almost three years now and it just gets better and better. Look at the commonly requested features right here in this forum: believe me, that's what we're looking at.
We'll probably have a lot of things that make your life a lot better in version 4.0, but we won't have every feature you can imagine. That'll have to wait until 5.0!
Friday, July 25, 2003
Sorry in advance if this has been discussed previously.
Joel, what is the ETA for v4.0 of FogBugz? I know you can't put a date in stone, but will it be out this year, or should we expect it in 2004?
Saturday, July 26, 2003
Reviving this old topic after over a year, are you close enough to 4.0 RTM to be able to speak about it even in vague terms?
Tuesday, September 07, 2004
Fog Creek Home