Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

VSS Integration

Does the source control integration work with VSS?

If so does anybody know where I might find a step by step guide on how to set this up?

And also has anybody had any luck with this using _any_ source control system and Visual FoxPro "?CX" files (Forms, classlibraries etc) ? - The reason I ask is because VFP stores all of its files in binary format so it is impossible to use VSS to do diffs between versions unless you use the absolutely hopeless VFP>VSS integration.

Chris
Monday, July 07, 2003

http://www.fogcreek.com/fogbugz/help/UsingFogBUGZWithSourceCon.html

or hit Help in your copy of FogBUGZ.

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, July 07, 2003

Yeah I have found that, but I am not sure how do you setup the URLs to click on for VSS - Basically Step 2.

It says you need perfbrowse for perforce and cvsweb for CVS, so is there any software recommended for VSS (and how to set it up) or do we have to live without the URL integration (I assume it will still atleast display the path to the file and its revision no.?)

Chris
Monday, July 07, 2003

It's built into fogbugz for VSS.  You just set up the urls to point to fogbugz itself with the correct parameters and it will execute the necessary VSS commands to show you the diffs.

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, July 07, 2003

excellent

Chris
Monday, July 07, 2003

Answering the question regarding how to diff VFP in VSS is explained in Chapter 29: Developing in Teams of VFP Programmer's Guide. You can access the guide from VFP's help.

In short: they use a program to create a text file representation of the form, class etc. The text file, usually ended in *.xxA extension (sca for scx&sct, vca for vcx&vct, ...) , included into VSS and that file that should be diff instead of the scx/sct.

Unfortunately, Microsoft's program to create the text presentation come a defect, at least in the VFP 6. The defect is to long to explained here. In short: it make it hard for us to diff the files.

I use scctext.prg created by Ted Roche, the author of Essential Source Safe which solved the problem.

Another tools I found lately is : scX : Source Control Transfer for Visual FoxPro, Paul McNett (p@ulmcnett.com)04/05/2003 but I have not tried it. It promise a 2 ways convertion (scx->sca & sca->scx). Maybe you can e-mail him for the file.

Both files, if my memory serves me right, can be downloaded from (www.universalthread.com)

Good luck with the VFP.

Rusli Thamrin
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Thanks for that Rusli.

Yes we have found the Microsoft SCCTEXT program just messes with the order of the ??A files and so you can never diff them because they are always completely different from the last one.

But thanks for the tips on the other 2, we might have to look into them. That scX program sounds especially interesting.

Chris
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Does this mean the VSS database have to reside on the same box as FogBugz

Sudhakar Patibandla
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home