Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Procedural Question

Hi,

I was hoping to get some advice or suggestions from someone at fog creek or elsewhere. I have a couple of questions about the setup at fog creek.

1. With respect to supporting problems, I see that fog creek uses tightvnc. What is the architecture for this? We are attempting to setup something similar and instead of re-inventing the wheel I figured I could borrow you ideas.

2. How do you deal with updates to the db? Do you record the changes in script files and they apply them all at once. What is the process for this release strategy?

We are a small software company that has been using fogbugz for about 6 months now and I am really impressed with the package. I was hoping to formalize some of our internal processed and would appreciate any advice y'all have.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin Moore
Thursday, July 03, 2003

Basically we run TightVNC in client - LISTEN mode on our server on the net, port 80.  The users then download vnc that we set up, and it makes an outgoing connection as a server to our client.  Then we just debug from there.  It works through firewalls because most firewalls allow OUTGOING port 80 packets.

If you are using FogBUGZ, then check out dbUpgrade.asp to see how we do database mods.

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, July 03, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home