Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

FogBugsDemo

How close is the FogBugz demo to the purchased version? For example, I see no administrative options to change the names of various fields, or even the Priority drop down list.

We have a need for something very similar. Instead of bug tracking, we would use it for web updates. We run a small web shop and want people to be able to request updates - simple file uploads, text re-wording, things like that. Since they're not bugs, we would want to re-word some of the terminology to suite our purposes.

I'm guessing you can root around in the source code to update these things, but there should be some sort of global options that stores text for you to update.

Mark W
Friday, January 25, 2002

The demo is basically WYSIWYG, except for file upload.  I agree with you about being able to change the source and fix those terminology problems.  We are fixing this in 2 ways for 3.0.  First read: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000348.html

1. We are adding bugs/feature requests distinctions.
2. We are moving all english out into a common file for translation.

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, January 25, 2002

Sounds good. With all of the text in a single location (editible through the browser, I assume?) updating should be easy.

Are "Feature Request/Bug" the only two options you'll allow? How about an unlimited number of sections, each with it's own text?

This way we can have something like

Feature Request
Update/Change Request
Bug Report
Comments/Feedback

Also, the FogBugz literature says you can add an unlimited number of files to a bug report, but there was only one browse button. How do you handle multiple files?

Mark W
Sunday, January 27, 2002

Edit->Browse->Submit,
Edit->Browse->Submit, ad infinitum
will let you add multiple files to one bug.

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, January 28, 2002

You can always create multiple projects to separate feature requests from bugs from ideas... although the more categories you have, the harder it is for people to decide what category something goes in!

Due to a limitation in the HTTP file upload protocol, you can only upload one file at a time. To upload multiple files, you have to edit the bug repeatedly, uploading one file at a time. This is a nuisance but that's the nature of the web.

As an alternative, if you have a file sharing server that everyone in your organization can access, this is a good place to put bug files. For example, use the convention \\myserver\bugfiles\1234 where 1234 is the bug ID.

Joel Spolsky
Monday, January 28, 2002

I agree that the "New Feature/Update/Bug" distinction would probably get most people confused, I was just taking the example to a realistic extreme. Still, the ability to have different verbiage for different projects makes sense - "Bug Title" doesn't belong anywhere near the "New Feature" section, but does belong squarely in "Bug Report."

Our workaround to multiple file uploads is to have multiple browse buttons. We took it to an extreme of 20 when it was the only way to load information into a system, but have brought it down to a more reasonable 2-3 in other systems we've developed.

Ours would need 5 to be really useful.

Mark W
Tuesday, January 29, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home