Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Web Services

Has anybody developed a .NET web service wrapper for creating new cases.  I would like to integrate creating new cases into my .NET windows app, and it seems a Web Service would be the answer.

Ralph Shillington
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

In the FogBUGZ/Accessories folder, there's an ActiveX control that does exactly that. ScoutSample.zip contains an example of using it. The ActiveX control can be called from .Net apps and uses HTTP to create new bugs using the simplified interface at scoutSubmit.asp, which you can call yourself using any HTTP library.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

It should be too much work to convert my C# wrapper to a .NET Web Service.  Right now the wrapper connects to the standard Scout page with an appropriate query string.

The wrapper can be found at http://webpages.charter.net/bmschkerke if you're interested.

I'm hesitant to bypass the Scout submit page because of the possibility in the future of the database architecture changing.  If, however, you'd like a web service I could certainly put one together for you.  It's not terribly difficult and would fit right into a prototype I need to write anyway..

Joel:  I don't know about the original poster but we try to avoid using ActiveX controls in our .NET projects - we prefer 100% managed code and native .NET components.

Brian Schkerke
Friday, June 20, 2003

Modify the first sentence of the above to be..

"It should NOT be.."

Brian Schkerke
Friday, June 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home