Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Automate logins

I have just installed FogBUGZ and made a link in our Intranet- and would like to automatically log in users based on their Intranet Login-- is there someway to pass a parameter in the URL of default.asp with their FogBUGZ id from the Person table?

Tom Bougan
Monday, June 16, 2003

If you log in and check the "Remember me" checkbox, then when you visit FogBUGZ again, you will already be logged in...

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, June 16, 2003

That only works if we always login from the same computers - which is not always the case-- I wondered if there was a way to programmatically 'login' using the URL so that I could pass in the FogBUGZ ID on the in the URL and bypass the logon page entirely (we securely log into our Intranet now using the NT Domain logins and an Access DB that stores individual information based on the windows/domain user name-- I want to add their FogBUGZ person table key to our DB so that users could click a link on the intranet and go directly into FogBUGZ)

Tom Bougan
Monday, June 16, 2003

You would have to know their ixPerson, which is the unique integer identifying the person in the FogBUGZ database, then redirect them to
.../fogbugz/default.asp?pre=preLogon
    &ixPerson=X&sPassword=Y

(all one line of course)

where X is the ixPerson and Y is their FogBUGZ password. This would have the negative side effect of putting their password in the address bar.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Thanks,
I plan to turn off the PW requirement and rely on my intranet security-- my boss wants the logon password mainly to keep one person from inadvertently adding bugs as another person--

tom

Tom Bougan
Thursday, June 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home