Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Incoming submissions don't always trigger notices?

Hi,

I've noticed the following behavior on several occasions this month:

A bug report is sent by email to the Fogbugz server (say bugs@mycompany.com).  Fogbugz opens a new case, assigns it to the default category and person and sends an email notification to the default person.  All is well.

Then, from within Fogbugz, we hit REPLY IN FOGBUGZ, type a response, and hit SEND.  The reply is sent, attached to the same case.  All is well.

Here's the problem: the recepient hits reply in their email client, KEEPS THE SAME SUBJECT HEADING (except with FW: prefixed), e.g. "Fw: Variable Thresholding Bug (Case 800)".  The Fogbugz server adds the reply to Case 800 (as it should) BUT it fails to send a notification to the owner of the Case.

This problem would mean our engineers must check all "active" cases regularly to ensure that clients are not left hanging.

Any ideas on the problem?  Solution?

Cheers,
Assad

Assad E.K. Ebrahim
Friday, June 13, 2003

There is a no "self-notification" rule in FogBUGZ.  So if the project OWNER is the same as who it is assigned to, then when dispatcho adds the reply to the end of the msg it does so as the project owner and won't notify the project owner.

For email additions, we'll consider ignoring this rule, but as it is, the behavior is 'expected' although maybe not ideal.

I'll put it in the database.

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, June 13, 2003

I see.  So what might be a workaround?

It seems that we would have to buy another license, name it Admin, and assign Admin the ownership of that category to which the Fogbugz mail server downloads incoming mail. Then an engineer in our department (say JoeTester) would log in as Admin to assign a Case to himself.  All emails sent to that Case would then be "Entered by Admin" and so a notification would be sent to JoeTester, who holds the assignment?

Hmm.  No other engineer could actually use the Admin license since they would then be vulnerable to not receiving an email notification...

Is there another workaround?  If there is no way around this problem except to buy a "dead" license for a virtual Admin, we will -- it's worth it to avoid having to make all of our engineers check all of their assigned cases on a daily basis just in case an email has arrived.  But if there is a way around it, much better!

Thanks.  We are otherwise delighted with your product.

Assad Ebrahim
Director, Software Development
www.biosonicsinc.com

Assad E.K. Ebrahim
Friday, June 13, 2003

FogBUGZ comes with one extra free license, so you could just use that license for this purpose.  Alternatively, you could modify the code to make this work, but you'd have to dive into the ASP.  In the meantime, I'll work on trying to make this happen for the next release.

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

I have noticed this problem also. Is there any way to just change the status to something different. Then when we look at a list of cases we could see which status has changed to say "Client Responded".

Brad J Walker
Friday, January 30, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home