Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Bug creation - who does what?

We are complete FB "virgins", and are feeling our way. Very encouraged by things so far. Dont know whether this has been discussed before but I would like opinions on the following scenario:

Bug discovered by support desk personnel/field engineers - I want them to open the bug, but dont want them to assign directly to development group, but to product manager only. He then decides who in development to assign it to, and when. How can I stop them assigning direct to development users within FB?

Mike Bowe
Friday, June 13, 2003

First of all I suggest making the Product Manager the Primary Contact for the project in question. Then by default new bugs will be assigned to that person.

It would still be possible to change the default when a new bug is entered but this is a sociology problem... if people do this, tell them not to :)

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Oh wait, let me mention another couple of tricks I've used to insure that a product manager looks at incoming bugs.

(1) Create a fictional user named "New Bug" and make it the primary contact for the project. (You would need another FogBUGZ license for this fictional user, although you wouldn't have to pay them or give them an office [that was a joke])
Then people are less likely to change the assignee. The product manager can set up a filter to search for bugs assigned to New Bug.

(2) Establish a convention that new bugs are left with the Fix For "UNDECIDED" until the product manager looks at it and assigns it to a particular fix for release. Teach developers not to work on bugs until they have a fix for.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Thanks Joel - you have confirmed pretty much what we thought best. You are absolutely right on the "sociological" issue as well - you sure you haven't met my engineers?

Mike Bowe
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home