Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Preventing duplicate replies?

Since fog creek appears to use FogBUGZ for their support mail, perhaps they or someone else has a solution to this problem?

FogBUGZ normally allows concurrent edits (which is great BTW in its flexibility.)

But if I feed my support spool into FogBUGZ for processing there is the chance of a customer getting two replies.

Suppose Bob and Fred are the two support guys, both responsible for any/every question in the support spool.

Bob, logged in as himself, sees a question, views the case. At the same time Fred does the same thing. Both now see the case as open (since the page in the browser on Fred's machine didn't magically refresh because Bob changed the case), and start a reply. The customer gets two answers.

Is there a technical solution to this problem?

If there is not, what non-technical way are people solving the problem?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim Correia
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

At the moment the first person hits reply the message will be assigned to them and no longer assigned to the queue (even before they hit send or send & close)...

So just have people check at the top that the bug is still assigned to them when they are typing their reply...

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Thanks for the reply Michael. The problem with this approach is that there is still a window where Bob can assign himself the bug and start replying but Fred doesn't know it because the list on his machine is stale and the browser doesn't automatically update to show that Bob has changed the bugs state.

Experimenting here, here is the sequence.

Case 2045 is assign to Project Owner.
Bob and Fred pull up the list of cases.

At 2:00 Both Bob and Fred open the bug and see it is still assigned to Project Owner.

At 2:01 Bob hits reply, and the bug is assigned to him.

At 2:02 Fred's screen hasn't changed yet, and when he is done reading the bug he hits reply because as far as he is concerned the bug is still assigned to spool owner.

I guess the only real solution here is to hit reload before reply (this will minimize but not remove the window of opportunity.)

Jim Correia
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Due to the stateless setup of the web, it makes this a tough problem, but we do have a potential feature which will help in this regard. It will be implemented in one of the next releases.  Currently the only workaround is to keep your listing current.

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Jim Correia
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home