Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Some email replies through FogBugz not recorded

My first thought is 'user error', but sometimes, when I reply through the system, my email reply is not recorded. Sometimes, it is.

Just me doing / not doing something daft or is this by design / a bug.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Morton
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Do you mean, you hit REPLY IN FOGBUGZ and you type a message in the fogbugz interface in your web browser, then hit send or send and close and it sends the message but doesn't appear in FogBUGZ?

Or do you mean you hit reply in your email client and it doesn't get recorded in FogBUGZ?

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

I hit REPLY IN FOGBUGZ and type a message in the fogbugz interface in my web browser, then hit send and it sends the message but doesn't appear in FogBUGZ.

Hit & miss, sometimes it records, sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Morton
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

How often does it not record?  Does the email get sent?  Is it possible your browser is caching the page and you just aren't seeing the addition?  Do you get any error messages?

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

When replying, I occassionally get a red warning error ("A error occured in the protocol" (sic))

Then I hit the back button on my browser, hit SEND again, and all is well, but the email reply is still not recorded.  I can't be absolutely sure my email is going out, as it only seems to happen using a particular email (pure alpha.bet@domain.com) and that is of course a major client...

Sometimes... I hit send, and it sends, no error message, but also no record.

Paul Morton
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Ok, I understand now.  There is a connectivity problem between the fogbugz machine and your mail server.  We can turn on tracing to figure out what it is.. but the reason the message is not recorded is because you can't hit back and then resubmit a bug you just submitted.  We check for duplicate submissions and ignore them, so the second time when you hit back and submit, that is considered a duplicate (even though the message sending failed) and so it doesn't get recorded.

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home