Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Asp.net version

Will there be in the near feature an ASP.net version of FogBUGZ?

As a user [with the current asp & components setup], would you switch to a ASP.net version?

Old timer
Sunday, June 01, 2003

It is not currently planned. We're not sure what the end-user benefit would be (why should you care what language your bug tracking software was written in?) and we're not planning to undertake a porting effort unless there's some real compelling reason to do it.

Joel Spolsky
Sunday, June 01, 2003

The only real benefit I can see from anything relating to .NET and FogBugz would be a Web Service API into FogBugz.

I've built my own for doing what I need, but it would have been nice to have the API already done.

Just a thought.

marc
Thursday, June 05, 2003

I'd like to second that request. I've wished for a webService API in to your engine too.  I don't really care if it's .net or not... any old soap will do.

Sam
Friday, June 06, 2003

A big reason would be, that I can upload the files to an FTP account without registering any components!! (I don't need the bug-by-email at all).

Old timer
Sunday, June 22, 2003

I can think of a lot of optimization that could go into the code that would be worth the porting effort.
- Data optimization and improvement to the DAL in general.  I have decent box that FB is running on, yet the amount of querying that happens against the SQL server running on the same box is seems to be slowing the server down significantly (to the point that users are complaining).
- Greater community involvement and customization of the code.  I have very capable asp.net/vb.net/c# developers working in my company that could create customized components and improve aspects of the functionality without messing up the core engine and updates you might put out.  They are not as well versed with good 'ol asp and wouldn't want to spend the time and effort to do the same in asp.
- There is a huge push in the developer community to move to asp.net.  That could be used to your advantage.
- Tighter integration with other Microsoft products.  Having a web part in Sharepoint Portal or Team Services with bug information on the corporate intranet available to management and other departments.

I'm sure a lot of this could be achieved with asp 3, but it's obvious that the technology has moved far ahead with asp.net.  Obviously it isn't a simple undertaking to port your source code to asp.net, but it's a one time hit for a long time gain.

Karan
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Until the next technology shift in 18 months.  ;-)

Jim
Wednesday, August 13, 2003

"Until the next technology shift..." is a good point in favor of porting to .NET. There is a reason not that much software for the web is written using COBOL and FORTRAN. You use the tools that are best for the job and when tools improve or change it is your responsibility to evaluate whether it is worth the transition pain to take advantage of those tools.

In the case of ASP.NET, I've been working with the technology since its earlies public days. I've since ported a couple of medium-size ASP and JSP projects and a half-dozen small ASP projects over to .NET. In all cases there were significant benefits gained in the transition. Speaking only for the ASP -> ASP.NET transition, there were significant gains in code organization and reuse. The applications now really feel like applications as opposed to collections of code fragments. We've finally truly abstracted the presentation from the code, which not only makes it possible to have the creative teams work without messing anything up, but also makes it easier to maintain and visualize the UI. The application performs better and we have a much broader field of opportunity for new development. What I mean by that is that we are no longer constrained by arbitrary technology barriers such as threading model constraints that one had to always be mindful of in classic ASP.

There was definitely a cost and a learning curve, but it was absolutely worth it and my customers are and will continue to see the benefits of this transition.

Michael Teper
Monday, August 18, 2003

I agree with all of the pro-asp.net comments above.  Love the product currently though, would like it even more with a web service.

Mike
Wednesday, January 14, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home