Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Upgrades & Users

I just 'upgraded' to 3.1.7.  I put 'upgrade' in quotes because it broke my FogBugz server.  It was previously at version 3.1.5.

The FogBugz login page now looks like this:

Server Application Error
The server has encountered an error while loading an application during the processing of your request. Please refer to the event log for more detail information. Please contact the server administrator for assistance.

The event log has these two events:
-----------------
Event Type:    Warning
Event Source:    W3SVC
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    36
Date:        5/30/2003
Time:        3:21:56 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    PE6300
Description:
The server failed to load application '/LM/W3svc/1/Root/FogBUGZ'.  The error was 'The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect.  Check the username and password.
'.
For additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft Online Support site located at: http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.
------------------
Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    DCOM
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    10004
Date:        5/30/2003
Time:        3:21:56 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    PE6300
Description:
DCOM got error "Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer. " and was unable to logon .\IWAM_PE6300 in order to run the server:
{F8C519F9-D39A-4989-AB63-9CCDED1914A9}

---------------------------

I think I know why, but I don't know how to fix it...

We recently moved the database server (and ISS server) from a Domain Conroller to a Stand Alone server.  This worked just fine, and caused no problems for us.  The FogBugz account was originally set up as DOMAIN\FogBugz.  It continued to work that way.  Until I tried to upgrade.

I guess the setup program assumed that the FogBugz user would be a local user? 

Scott Stonehouse
Friday, May 30, 2003

Never mind... solved it.

Scott Stonehouse
Friday, May 30, 2003

Scott,

Can you elaborate on the solution so that I might be able to put up a knowledge base article or something for users that run into a similar problem?

Thanks!

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, May 30, 2003

Under the local policies, I gave the old domain FogBugz account the right to log on locally on the stand alone server.  After a reboot, everything worked again.  Not sure why the upgrade would have changed this...

Of course, it's possible the reboot fixed it, not the policy change!

Let me know if this makes any sense....

Scott Stonehouse
Monday, June 02, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home