Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Primary Contact Wishlist

For large projects with lots of areas, it would be nice to be able to define multiple primary contacts within the project so that a person reporting a bug would know who is in charge of a specific area.

Tim Lara
Monday, January 21, 2002

Tim,

Do you mean Area level contacts in addition to Project level contacts?

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, January 22, 2002

Exactly.  Area Level Contacts.  That's what I was trying to say in much more befuddled and confusing terms.  I will try not to wear mittens when typing future posts! ;)

Tim Lara

We might be able do that. The only trick would be that it would require client-side JavaScript. That's because when you change the area on the "new bug" form, we would have to adjust the default "assigned to" field automatically. This actually opens a wee can of worms... what if you've already manually changed the "assign to" person on your new bug, because you know who you want it assigned to, and then you play around with the area and don't notice it's changing the Assigned to on you.

Joel Spolsky

Hmmm...I see your point.  I suppose, though, that if you are using JavaScript, you could have the focus automatically jump to the "Assigned To" field whenever the "Area" pulldown is changed.  This might draw enough attention to the "Assigned To" field to make people notice that it had been updated.  And if a bug is accidentally assigned to the wrong person because someone didn't notice that this automatic behavior had changed their selection, I don't know if it's really any worse than having a bug assigned to the wrong person (project contact) by default because the person entering the bug doesn't know who is in charge of a particular area...

Tim Lara
Wednesday, January 23, 2002

Did anything ever come of this request?

Are Area-Level Primary Contacts still in the works or has it been rejected?

eric
Friday, November 07, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home