Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Administrative Option Wishlist

I just finished setting up FogBUGZ and I think it is going to be a *huge* improvement to our organization.

There is however, one thing which would be nice to see in the next release if it's not too much trouble (and if anyone else would use it, I guess):

An option to allow users to add new/maintain existing projects and areas without being able to tamper with any other settings such as user profiles or site config.

Currently, I don't see any way to allow people to edit projects and areas without giving them administrative rights.

It also might be nice to go one step further and be able to control who has access to which projects.  (I think someone else already suggested this...)

Tim Lara
Wednesday, January 16, 2002

We actually tried that once. What happened was that people tend to create a lot of areas willy-nilly, and you end up with about 37 areas in each project. Then every time you want to enter a bug you have to think about which of the 37 areas it belongs in. The more areas you have, the less likely bugs will be categorized correctly, and the longer it takes to enter a bug, which makes people not want to use the system...

As a result FogBUGZ requires that you be an admin to modify projects and areas. Remember that in FogBUGZ you can make anybody you want be an admin. You can make a half dozen responsible people be admins. At least this way you can make sure that the admins are educated about when to make a new area.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, January 22, 2002

Joel:

I had to chuckle to myself when reading your post because you are exactly right.  I did try making everyone an Admin to partially achieve what I was asking for in my previous post, and sure enough, we ended up with some unnecessary and confusing areas being defined.  I now agree that it is better to have a select few people handle this duty...

Tim Lara

Thanks :) I'm always worried that I'm coming off as haughty, as if "Fog Creek Software Knows What's Good For You Better Than You Do..." Feel free to tell me when I'm just full of it.

Joel Spolsky

Well, at the risk of coming off as a big fat "smooch-a-roonie" I have to admit that so far the advice I've taken from "Joel On Software" has done nothing but lower my stress level and improve the quality of the projects I've worked on immensely.  As soon as it starts increasing my financial compensation, I'll put a call in to an architect about the shrine...

Tim Lara
Saturday, January 26, 2002

Joel and co,

Would it be possible to introduce a third 'user level' into the mix? Perhaps 'Project Editor' or something?

I have no problem with letting certain users create their own projects and areas (it saves me from doing it), but I get nervous when I think that as administrators they have rights to modify other things (like users, site parameters etc).

Cheers,
Matt

Matt Hamilton
Wednesday, May 28, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home