Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How does a technical writer use FogBugz?

I'm evaluating FogBugz. I can mostly see how it could fit into our structure, but I have one question that I haven't been able to figure out.

When items are resolved, some require changes to the documentation (help file, training material, etc.). Other resolutions don't require changes to the documentation. Sometimes the documentation needs to be updated right away. Other times it can wait. Just as the developers use FogBugz to prioritize, schedule, assign, and review bugs and features, the technical writing team also needs these tasks.

From a management perspective, we see documentation of a bug as having several states, just like the bug. Specifically, I would call the states "Not reviewed", "Reviewed - no documentation update needed", "Reviewed - documentation update needed", and "Reviewed - documentation updated". We would want to see lists and counts of items in each of these states, and also have these related to the original bug.

I just can't figure out how we would manage this with FogBugz. Can somebody confirm that they have this same issue and have a viable process for it?

Don Benson
Thursday, May 15, 2003

Hi,

We have the following politics: when some case requires a documentation update, we create another case only for doc guys reffering to original case. This would avoid confusing especially when reopenning a case.

Regards,

Alexandre B. Corrêa
Thursday, May 15, 2003

That sounds easiest -- all you have to do is create a DOC area or project, and all you really need to do is describe the bug as "Document bug 1234" -- which will automatically create a hyperlink. That way the companion doc bug can be handled independently of the main bug.

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, May 15, 2003

Joel,

That was exactly what I said... :)

Regards,

Alexandre B. Corrêa
Friday, May 16, 2003

Thanks for your thoughts, Alexandre and Joel. I'm going to review this idea with our documentation people.

Don Benson
Thursday, May 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home