Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

comments for xml projects

I'm trying out FogBugz (again). I am looking at using it to track bugs on an XML project. Many of the comments will include XML which should be saved as is. In most cases that's what FogBugz does. (Some other web tracking systems don't bother to escape XML and as a result the browser doesn't show it)

I have found one case where it does not, character entities. For example the following comment:

The proper way to enter a unicode character if your editor has no IME is 8

In case this list also does not  support character entities the end of the sentence is amperand # 56 ;

comes back as

The proper way to enter a unicode character if your editor has no IME is 8

because 56 is the decimal code for the character 8. This an inconvienence and I have not found a way around it. 

Dan Sullivan
Tuesday, January 08, 2002

I'm pretty sure this has to do with a problem in Server.HTMLEncode.

If you open up preheader.asp in an editor and scroll down to the function UnicodeClean, you'll see what's going on.

I think you could just take out the Replace call there and change it to

UnicodeClean = sCrToBr(Server.HTMLEncode(s))

As long as you aren't writing bug reports in Hebrew, I think this should fix your problem.  Let me know.

(I don't think its possible to both fix your problem AND allow bug reports to be written in Unicode because of the mangline that HTMLEncode does).

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, January 08, 2002

Yep, this is correct -- we had to put in mangling to get unicode to work, but if you don't need the unicode, that one change will fix it for ya.

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, January 09, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home