Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Using FogBugz for Features

The ability to use FB to track features is great, and the tracking of estimates and actual times matches Joel's article on scheduling. So far, so good; as it makes it a useful tool for planning new versions, and even new applications.

However, when a feature is selected, the Priority items are the same as those for bugs or Inquiries. They no longer make sense, and are like using poor method or variable names: it messes up the clarity of the communication.

What would seem like a nice addition would be for at least the text of the priority items to be different for each of the three categories, since each category logically has a different list of priority types. I would like to use FB for both bug tracking and feature requests, but I also want the other users to be able to select priorities that make sense in the context of the category of case they are creating.

Am I missing something about the way FB is usually used? Or does this make good sense?

Guy Townsend
Saturday, May 03, 2003

"each category logically has a different list of priority types."

This question seems a bit odd to me.  What different list of priority types would you have?  It seems to me that priority always boils down to high,  medium, low - at least the way we use it.

FogBugz lists priorities as Must Fix, Fix if Time and Don't Fix, with degrees of priority within must fix, fix if time etc. 

I can see wanting to change the text to something like Must Do, Do if time and Don't do in the case of features - but isn't that a super minor point?

Or am I missing something?

Bah humbug
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

I guess I wasn't very clear. What I meant was that for each category (Bug, Feature, Inquiry) there is a different set of text that applies. Sure, each might have something like low, medium, high priority.

But "Must Fix" does not apply to a Feature. Am a going to "fix" a feature? But if I change to "Must Implement" that it applies to Features, but not bugs.

So, as I said, each Category has a logically different set of priorities. I would like them to be linked, so that when I am viewing a Bug, it has "Must Fix" etc., and when viewing a Feature Request the priority maps to text like "Must Implement."

Again, am I missing something about the way FogBugz is normally used? Anyone?

Guy Townsend
Thursday, May 08, 2003

I agree. We just started using FogBugz for feature tracking and ran into this.

Marc
Thursday, May 08, 2003

I guess while you wait for an independent list of priorities for bugs and features (assuming Fog Creek implements them), you could always come up with more generic text for the priorities and simply change the current labels in the database if it bothers you.  (I'd suggest: 1 - High, 2 - Medium, 3 - Low <g>)

Bah humbug
Thursday, May 08, 2003

We've gone down the generic path with our priority names:

1 - Don't go home until this is resolved
2 - Absolutely must resolve ASAP
3 - Need this resolved quite quickly
4 - Please resolve soon
5 - To be resolved, but not urgent
6 - Resolve when time permits
7 - Leave until really bored

We find this fits in well with inquiries, features and bugs.

Andrew Lighten
Thursday, May 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home