Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Win2k3 Server Oddity

Upgraded the FB machine here last night to Win2k3 server.

Upgrade was amazingly smooth, took about 40 minutes.

FB came through unscathed, however we are intermittently seeing this:

error '800703e6'

/fogbugz/dlgBugEditing.asp, line 1127

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0115'

Unexpected error

/fogbugz/default.asp

A trappable error (C0000005) occurred in an external object. The script cannot continue running.

I havent had a chance to pursue this yet, but I will say that a reboot cleared it up the first time we saw it. Ill report back more as the investigation continues

Mark Riffey
Thursday, May 01, 2003

Here's another one.

Opened by Julie Thrasher 4/29/2003 4:04 PM

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0241'
CreateObject Exception

/fogbugz/default.asp

The CreateObject of '(null)' caused exception C0000005.

Server object error 'ASP 0177 : c0000005'

Server.CreateObject Failed

/fogbugz/dlgBugEditing.asp, line 1351

c0000005

Mark Riffey
Thursday, May 01, 2003

Got a wild hair and reinstalled FB on the server, guessing that permissions were torched. That seems to have corrected it. Needless to say, we'll be watching it.

For those about to install W2k3, its more like a linux install security-wise. Everything is tied down, rather than left wide open.

Mark Riffey
Thursday, May 01, 2003

I dont know as yet if this is Win2k3 or FB not getting along with Win2k3, or what - Im just reporting it here so you guys know what I know (no comment needed on what that might be<g>).

Anyhow, we've had to reboot the server 3 times today to keep FB running. This last one was server error 500 even when FB was accessed via a browser on the win2k3 server.

Mark

Mark Riffey
Thursday, May 01, 2003

Seems to be getting worse rather than better. We're pretty much totally down at this point. Ill email support.

Mark Riffey
Thursday, May 01, 2003

I notified the 3rd party dll people (www.dart.com) about the problems.  The errors are confined to their dlls, and now I'm not 100% sure they support win2k3.  I'll let you know when I get a response from them.

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, May 01, 2003

Thanks Michael. Im in the process of moving it to a Win2k machine for the meantime. Its just gotten too frequent to deal with. Says a lot for how dependent on FB we've gotten.

Mark

Mark Riffey
Monday, May 05, 2003

Any word on Win2K3 - FB compatibility?  We're looking to upgrade our server.

Mike Bolesta
Monday, June 02, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home