Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Can the interface be tweaked to my liking?

Hi Joel and Fog Creek,

After reading your articles and message boards on JOS for a year or so, my small company is embarking on a fairly large new project that will become our first in-house product. As part of the preparations for this I'm looking into implementing FogBugz to handle our bug tracking and customer service emails.

In order to cover my bases I've looked at the other products out there and it is evidently clear that FogBugz is the best system around. The only thing that I don't like about it is the interface style.

I understand that it follows every usability study and that Jakob Nielsen would approve, but despite this I would prefer something a bit more stylish. At a minimum I'd just like to change the color scheme and drop that fixed-width font.

I find that it is harder for me to read when entering text, and combined with the color-scheme and button styles gives everything a bit of a 70's vibe. Usable sure, but it just reminds me of better forgotten old systems from times gone by and doesn't put me or my users in a friendly and productive kind of mood.

So, my question is whether this is all controlled with an accessible style sheet, or if at a minimum I'll be able to tweak each individual base page. Do you directly support style changes in any way?

Thanks,

--Josh

JWA
Thursday, April 24, 2003

Yes, the whole system ships with a style sheet so you could just change the style sheet to your liking.

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, April 25, 2003

Hi Michael,

Thanks. I assumed so, but since I know that Joel has a particular fondness for fixed-width fonts that this may be considered a feature and hard-coded in somewhere.

I'm looking forward to getting it all set up and running.

Regards,

--Josh

JWA
Saturday, April 26, 2003

My fondness for fixed-width fonts in edit boxes comes from the fact that it's easier to select one character when it's an i or l or j, and it's easier to see the difference between them. But it's a one-line change to our css style sheet (styles.asp) if you don't like it.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home