Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Email replies not being sent

I am using Fogbugz together with Exchange 5.5.  I have successfully set it up so that incoming emails are passed from Exchange to Fogbugz.  I also have it set up so that emails within our office are properly sent when using the "Reply" command.  However, when I try to reply to an address outside of our office, it doesn't get sent.

Does anyone have any thoughts on possible solutions?

Thanks.

David Robison
Monday, April 21, 2003

You have to set it up so that the machine that fogbugz is installed on has "relaying" priveleges in the exchange server.  We don't use Exchange here so I'm not sure about exactly where that is located, but others in the forum might now... I'll look on google in the meantime and see if I can find it.

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, April 21, 2003

This page:
http://www.exchangeadmin.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=7696

talks about how to prevent relaying, but you can use the info there to also figure out how to ADD it.

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, April 21, 2003

Thanks, that worked.  I'm not sure what kind of security holes I just opened up on server, though :)

For anyone using Exchange, you go to your Exchange Administrator, go to Connections, then go to the properties of you Internet Mail Service.  Click on the routing tab and set it to allow relaying.

After you make the change, you will need to restart the Mail Service.  You also should check to see that incoming and outgoing email is still working.  (I accidently turned off incoming mail for about an hour making this change!)

David Robison
Tuesday, April 22, 2003

Can't you just allow it for specific IP addresses?  (Otherwise it is a big security hole, because SPAMMERS can use your SMTP server to send mail).

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, April 22, 2003

Yes, you can turn it off for specific IP's.  Now that I have it working at all, I am going to go back and figure out the right settings that allow us to relay email, but no one else.  (The link you posted made it very clear that leaving it as just an open relay was not a good thing!)

David Robison
Tuesday, April 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home