Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Email integration

I would like to see FogBugz integrate with Exchange more, so that we wouldn't have to create real user accounts for every incoming case submission email address we want to have. Instead, it'd be great to just have a single account with multiple email addresses and have Fogbugz filter the messages by incoming email address.

Ilya Haykinson
Tuesday, April 01, 2003

I'm confused.  Can you explain more about your setup and why Exchange is different from other POP3 servers?

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, April 01, 2003

Ok, I guess it was a confusing message.

Basically, we want multiple email addresses for incoming messages to get fed into the FogBugz database. Currently, the system makes us create a new NT user account for every email address.

It would be great if FogBugz either integrated with Exchange in some way to allow us to not create real users but still create email addresses that would get routed into FogBugz.

However, what would also work would be to have all the email addresses pointing to one user account, and FogBugz would check mail in that account and direct the mail to different projects in the database based on which address the message was sent to.

In other words, we have two users: client_a  with an address client_a_cases@ourcompany.com, and client_b with address client_b_cases@ourcompany.com, but we would like to have either no users or just one user, say client_emails, handling both of those addresses, and FogBugz doing the sorting after it checks messages.

I hope this was a bit less confusing?

Ilya Haykinson
Tuesday, April 01, 2003

I certainly don't want to make it sound like I'm making excuses, but isn't this a limitation of Exchange and not FogBUGZ?  It seems to me that if Exchange requires you to create an NT account for every mailbox, then there isn't really any way around it...

But I think I see what you are saying... You wish you could just make one mailbox with a bunch of aliases for that mailbox and then fogbugz would sort them out to different projects based on the To: field...

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, April 01, 2003

I may be missing something, but 30 seconds with google leads me to this:

http://mailman.ucc.usyd.edu.au/pipermail/its-contacts/2003-February/000142.html

Which states - as one would expect - that exchange can cope with aliases.

Of course trying to find the appropriate bit of documentation on the MS website was a mistake...

murph
Wednesday, April 02, 2003

And the reason I'm confused is that I didn't read the spec properly )-:

murph
Thursday, April 03, 2003

Our need here would be that the sorting should be based on the subject of the email.

It's not always possible to have "real" aliases for 15 projects but it's really easy to create a HTML form that send email with a predefined subject added based on a menu listing the projects available. Ex:

Subject : My Project1 : Real-subject-added-by-customer

Then FB would sort the mail base on what's at the left of the semicolon(:) wich is equal to a project in FB.

Patrick Gaumond
Thursday, April 03, 2003

As an NT / Exchange 5.5 administrator, there is no need to create a new NT account for every new mailbox.  You can assign one NT account to as many mailboxes as you like.  Additionally, you can go to the email addresses tab in Exchange and add as many SMTP addresses as you like that will automatically drop into the Exchange mailbox they're assigned to.  The advantage to this, is that whoever has access to the mailbox can filter based on recipient.  Personally, I have added the Sent To field to my mailbox in Outlook -- that way I can delete most of the spam just by seeing it wasn't sent directly to me (most spam is sent to "nobody" or "undisclosed recipients", etc...

CARTER

Carter Terry
Monday, April 21, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home